Thursday, March 31, 2011

unforgiven

Google very kindly gave me my account back with their apologies and advice to change my password.

In the meantime I read something on the AP wire that claimed an individual nuclear reactor had a 1-100,000 chance of an accident. And that the mainstream public was too uneducated to understand how low the risk was, or how irrational is the fear of radiation .

IMO a major accident is a release large enough to cause evacuation. That has happened at least three times: Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, and Fukushima. At least one reactor involved @ Fukushima, perhaps as many as three or four reactors involved.

Since google search claims less than 500 active reactors in the world, where the 1 per 100,000 figure comes from I have no idea.

Logically it would appear that if the risk was 1 in 100,000 and there have been accidents at a minimum of three reactors, there would have to exist 300,000 reactors to create those odds.

Let me assure you that my lack of understanding those statistics has nothing to do with a lack of education.

No comments: