Monday, September 7, 2009

The President's Speech

Everyday, children in public school stand before the flag and recite the pledge of allegiance.

"I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic, for which it stands, one Nation, under guard (formally God), indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

All day long children in public schools are lectured and taught by teachers and supervised by principals and superintendents.

If the principal, teachers, or their supervisors decided to hold an assembly to lecture students on expectations, rules, or pep rallies, they would not be questioned.

Yet, some parents are up in arms that our President Obama would like to address the nation's schoolchildren to encourage their studies and perseverance in school. Former Presidents Ronald Reagan and George Bush senior addressed students during their presidencies. If I recall recent history accurately, George Bush Jr. was at a school in Florida preparing to talk when the first plane hit the World Trade Center.

So what's up? Is it because our current president is African American? A Democrat? What's the uproar about? I haven't heard a peep from my children's school about the upcoming speech. My son doubts he will hear it.

If their school does not run the speech, I hope I can dig it up on the internet and I'll watch it with them .

No comments: