Monday, September 8, 2008

revenge of the creeping black goo

As evening crept in last night, it became obvious why the roofing tar only covered half of what it did last year. It was too thick, and it started to drip. And drip, and drip.

Poor Loosey Goosey took a big splot right across his beak. I felt so sorry for him, I had to try and get it off with a paper towel soaked in vegetable oil. Considering that I had quit trying to be friends with the goose a number of months ago, and our relationship is based on him pretty much accepting that I am boss and leaving me alone, this was a challenge.

He did very well, but I couldn't get the goop off.

Then this morning, his beautiful white feathers were showing a few splotches. Oh-oh. I went after his feathers with the oil, but just managed to smear it a bit. After I tended the goats, I ran in for the surgical scissors. I think Loos knew what was coming-he ran.

I cornered him by the rabbit hutch and managed to snip the worst bits off his supreme plummage. At least he won't get it in his mouth now.

Then I rigged a shattered piece of plastic with some baling twine and staples to that end of the house, to try and catch the drips before they hit any more unwilling victims. All morning great stringy ploops have been hitting the plastic. It seems to be a perfect drying and curing day, so it better stop dripping soon!!!!!

1 comment:

Tonia said...

Oh My I had experience with dripping black goo!!! But it took a whole year for use to get the drippy part. We put it on our old house before the roof was repaired trying to hold off a little longer. Well the next spring it warmed up to about 80*I looked out the backdoor and glanced down and there it was all over the back step... Looked up and it was dripping oh so slow.... WE used the back door much more and everyone was tracking it in. What a mess!!! So sorry for your goose!!