Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Insomnia

OK, so that's what I get for bragging about caffeine not giving me insomnia-a case of insomnia.

However, the caffeine was not the culprit last night. I had my blood in a boil over an injustice wreaked upon me by the local school system. Already, just a week of school underfoot, and I am seriously affronted.

I have had issues with the small local school in the past, but I think this one might be the last straw. I am 90% sure I will be homeschooling the saplings for the remainder of the school year. I have serious reservations about taking on such an enormous responsibility, but I think perhaps it is the best choice at this time.

So I tried in vain to fall asleep last night. Usually if I decide to sleep nothing gets in my way-caffeine, noises, locations...snooze. Not last night. After at least an hour or so, I realized the David Letterman show was underway, and I thought I recalled that Barack Obama was going to be on, so I relocated downstairs and turned on the tube.

Dave was holding up a book about climate change, penned by a New York Times journalist, whose name and book title escapes me as I type this. The point was, Dave was really upset. He was saying stuff like, how about everyone gets rid of their cars and starts bicycling everywhere? With the amount of CO2 and greenhouse gases in the atmosphere NOW, the Earth will continue to heat for the next 60 years. We are so SCREWED!!!!

Then the audience would LAUGH.

Then Dave would say something like, "yeah, go have another pitcher of Margaritas,"
greeted with more laughter.

The he started on about the melting ice and polar bears are gone. He just saw 20 swimming down the Hudson. More laughter.

Then Paul Schaeffer asked what a polar bear was-he didn't remember them.

Dave just kept saying, "we are SO screwed," "and why hasn't the government done anything about this?!?!"

and telling the laughing audience to have another drink-the jab being that they must be loaded to think the subject was something to laugh about.

I cuddled on the couch with a blanket and watched open-mouthed. You go, Dave!!!

Then his first guest, Kiera Knightly, of Pirates of the Caribbean fame came out to promote her new movie "Duchess" and let Dave know that she was mortified that he had this Doomsday mood lead-in that might spoil her hopefully upbeat interview. PLLLEEEAASE.


Well, she IS only 23 years old. Dave delightedly pointed out his TIE was that old, and that she was young enough to still be alive to see the Earth explode. hehehe.

Finally Dave brought the author of the book out, and then had some good if not great discourse of ideas about how to (try) and effect some change in energy policies to get us out of this mess.

Then Craig Fergusson came on with the Late late show, and I watched his intro (he cracks me up). He was doing a bit about how google was ten years old, you know, google to search your friends, and find good deals on stuff, and let's see....he mimics an elderly McCain at a keyboard (he is awesome with his body and facial expressions) and says, "hmmmm, let's seeeeeee"...."Vice president"......."Lady"......*hits search*" LMAO.

Interestingly enough, if I fall asleep on the couch with the TV on, Craig Fergusson always wakes me up. But last night he had the opposite effect. I felt my eyes close with a big smile still plastered on my face, and got up and went to bed where I promptly fell asleep. Thanks Dave and Craig, for making me smile in the face of such serious issues.

1 comment:

Tonia said...

Insomnia always hits when you least expect it.. One place to start is the Homeschool legal defense association.. Or www.hslda.org. It will tell what your specific laws are and point you in the right direction. Type in Homeshcool curriculum and all kinds of stuff will surface.. Unit studies is what we started this year in addition to some other workbooks.