Saturday, August 9, 2008

restless

I have been feeling restless and cranky the last two days. The sun finally made an appearance today, and we headed over to the pond for what could be one of the last swims of the season. You never know around here with the weather.

The water was high and cold from the rain and cool temps. The saplings did not stay in the water long, so we took advantage of the newly trimmed path to walk out to the point and back.

Then we came home and stretched out in the meadow (lawn). I haven't had the goats out since we brought Peko home. Someone has to stay in the house with him, as he suffers from separation anxiety, which is getting better as time goes on. He prefers to know where I am every minute.

The saplings help to show him that if Mom goes out, or leaves him in the car, it is no big deal, and she comes back eventually. I haven't dared try to shove him in the dog crate; as a training tool, it is supposed to be their "safe place"-one they want to go in for some alone time. I have a feeling that Peko would be one of those uncratable dogs. If I throw something in there for him, he looks at me like I am nuts, even if I crawl in myself and call him.

Well, to be expected after being in an animal shelter.

I have also been feeling well enough to tackle some of those long overdue cleaning jobs. I did the Firebird's room last week, and rearranged the furniture. That set me back a couple days as I must have stretched my back moving the bed.

A couple days after that, and we had school friends visit for the day. Everyone had a blast-it was fun to have a house full of happy kids. While the kids were visiting, I tackled some of those messy places in the kitchen. Yesterday I worked on my room. Next is the tool area-which I am dreading. Once the house has had it's long overdue spring cleaning, I will hopefully be able to move onto some of the construction projects I was supposed to be doing this summer with the time off.

Most of them require the substantial purchase of materials, and trying to save up with the higher cost of everything has been another challenge. This seems to happen to me every summer, and then Taxes come due, and firewood needs to be purchased, and the car needs work...lol. And I really better buy a load or two of gravel this fall, or we will be parking on the road and using the driveway as a foot path.

No comments: