Sunday, August 10, 2008

Newton Faulkner

I met Newton Faulkner today and I just realized it. Duh. He's a singer songwriter whose lyrics to the song "Dream Catch Me" I posted a few months back.

Here's how it went down. I was in a small local grocery store checking out with the little Willow, juggling three slices of hot pizza on two plates (they were out of plates)and saw a tall guy with reddish dreds at the coffee station. I thought-he looks like Newton Faulkner. Then a small brunette chick, rather plain, caught my eye and I realized they were together and dismissed them as a hippy couple on the way to some show or other.

Still, I turned to the cashier and said, "Newton Faulkner", softly, and she looked at me blankly, so I repeated it louder and added-he's a singer songwriter, since I blanked on the name of the song. She didn't know who I was talking about. Then they got in line behind me, and figuring they must have overheard me, I said to him, "Newton Faulkner" and he gave me a stare and I said, "Do you get that a lot, hey, it's Newton Faulkner?" joking with them.

Then he said, "well, my Mom....and me sometimes..." and still I am in denial, and say, "Yeah, it's the dred" all the while his girlfriend is sort of fidgeting and chuckling. Still, I am grabbing my bags and getting my change, and he adds after me, "I wish I had his money, though" and we all had a good laugh and I left, but have to admit I watched them leave after I got in the car, saying to the Firebird-"check out this guy, he looks like Newton Faulkner."

So I am lying in bed trying to fall asleep and the conversation replayed itself in my head, and I am thinking, "Damn, I think that was Newton Faulkner-why else did he say his Mom?"

I just googled images, because I didn't remember Newton having a little goatee or being tall, or having thick rather than thin dred, and there he was...Newton Faulkner.

Well, I guess I am glad I didn't realize it at the time, since I couldn't remember the name of his hit song...Dream Catch Me.

You rock, Newton!

No comments: