Sunday, August 10, 2008

Another deluge

Well, I really need to stop speaking in absolutes as they seem to come true.
I may need those loads of gravel for the drive sooner than I thought.

We returned home around noon after errands and a lovely hike down a power line, where both saplings lost a shoe in mud, in different places, at the same time. I managed to keep my shoes on, but came out of the hike spattered in mud. Peko had a blast. The day turned hot and sunny, so first thing on our return was to answer the pleas to go for a swim.

Being a lovely Sunday afternoon, plenty of canoers and kayakers had similar thoughts, and the Willow was a bit put out that they had to get out of the water and wait for folks to put in. I was happy as I love to meet the folks that come to enjoy the pond. The water was too cold anyhow, so we headed home for some consolation chocolate bars and I made my last post as black clouds loomed and thunder started rumbling. Hence all the typos, as I quickly posted, and then disconnected everything.

Man, did it rain!!! It rained harder than the other day, and it rained like that for well over a half hour. lightning, thunder, but no big wind. It was an enormous deluge. I kept hoping that all the nice folks I spoke with had made it safely off the pond before it hit.

As soon as the storm passed, we headed out to survey the situation. Quite a lot of my driveway had washed away. There is a huge collapsed section in front of the mail box again-worse than last time. It is over a foot deep and two feet wide and about twelve feet long. I am glad most of my important mail goes to a post office box, because there is no way the postman will be able to get to the mailbox.

All the vehicles of folks we had spoken to were gone...but there was still a truck jammed up in the woods. I imagine they must be camping to have left their truck there...hopefully they didn't wash away. The storm sprang up very quickly. I would have been ashore cowering under the canoe if it had been me. LOL.

No comments: