Monday, April 6, 2009

Red-tailed Hawk


Buteo jamaicensis Tree409

We had some great wildlife sitings today. First, on the way to the store, Willow found a brown caterpillar on the seat next to her in the car. I had to pull over and secure it in a cup for the rest of the trip.

Then, on the two lane highway, I spotted a bobcat making a run for it up ahead. I had enough time to alert Willow as it raced across the road and vanished into the woods to the left. Even if I had the camera in my hand, it would have been gone before the camera powered up. Excellent siting, though!

Then, just a few miles up the road, Willow spotted this red-tailed hawk on the power line. I stopped and took some pix, then turned the car around and slowly crept parallel to it, and managed to get two pix off. This was the second, just as it was in flight. It was the best shot of the lot. I was in such a hurry I don't think I had the settings correct on the cam, but still a cool pic I am happy to share. :)