Saturday, September 13, 2008

And the NIght Comes Day

I love it when I happen to be at the computer as the dusk draws around. First the bats leave their daytime roosts under the eaves. Tonight a large one did a very close fly by of my window. Most likely a Large Brown Bat.

Then Jupiter makes it nightly appearance, usually followed by the flying squirrels. Earlier this afternoon I could hear gnawing in the roof over my bedroom, and I eyeballed the maple branch that is providing them entry. I fiercely contemplated getting the ladder out and taking the branch out-the flying squirrels would have no trouble leaving, but would not be able to return.

The branch is just too high for me to tackle on an extension ladder though. I really don't care for ladders. The tree is straight trunked for about twenty feet, so no climbing it freestyle, either-at least not to saw a branch. Not for me, anyhow.

As it is getting late in the season, I guess I will have to allow the squirrels to stay another winter. Too much later and they would be hard pressed to find a new home before winter.

I heard one cussing the other night, and it was perked in the maple tree fussing at Ruby staring from the window. I shined a flashlight out the window to verify it was a flying squirrel, and it did not care for that and scurried around and down the trunk.

Peko needed his evening stroll, and we headed out about 7:30, which is getting on well dark here this time of year. I have found that I enjoy walking down the pitch black drive led by the dog. The fireflies lie in the weeds glowing brightly, and the only sound is that of the waterfall and crickets. Tonight I could see the shine of the moon on the road, and we walked over to the pond guided only by moonlight.

We had a few more inches of rain since my last trip, and the pond is quite full. I could see fish rising toplit by the moon.

I am hoping to start posting photos again soon, as the pieces have come together for some computer surgery. Hopefully I will be able to put this trusty senior computer into back up mode once again.

1 comment:

Tonia said...

Squirrels are quite funny to watch but will quickly become a pest!!! we ha a limb fall out of a tree that needs a limb trimmed but of course it wouldnt be the one we need to trim!! It couldnt be that easy!! I am not good friends with ladders either!!LOL