Monday, August 25, 2008

Porcupine quills


Colonel Forbin Tree
I received a phone call this morning from a distraught friend I had not heard from in awhile. Her two German Shepards got into a little tangle with a porcupine last night. I went over and her two teen boys and I tried without success to work on Uma.


Porcupine quills are extrememly painful to remove, due to their barbed design. I know, I had one in a foot once, and it hurt very much coming out! Worse than a bee sting.


Once I had a dog that tried to bite a porcupine-that was a trip to the emergency vet.


Another time, when I first moved in here, I had five bullmastiffs and no electricity. I let them out one at a time to do their business before bed (oh, the days I could just let the dog out). I woke up in the morning to five noses with porcupine quills. That time, single handedly, I managed to remove the quills. The least was 3 and the worse was Louise who had about 20.


It takes superhuman patience and a very steady hand to calm the dog to creep in for a quill, and easy to miss, when you have to start all over again.


Well, we gave up pretty quickly with Uma-it was too painful to hear her crying and I was too chicken to get close enough to her face to pull them. D was trying without success. I gave them a ride to get their Mom's car and they made a vet appointment for this afternoon. Poor puppies.

2 comments:

Tonia said...

That sounds painful! The worse thing we have like that here is Skunks and then its just painfully smelly!

Anonymous said...

LOL I remeber your awful skunk experience!!! HOw many under the house? 5???? Tree