Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Lost

A friend of mine got lost in the woods on Sunday. We had stopped in for a visit and left around 1 pm. Shortly after that, P decided to walk over to the blueberry field to see if there were any blossoms.

This was a spur of the moment thought-he had just opened a beer ( I know, I know, 1 pm Sunday..but hey, it WAS hot and sunny out) and left it on the picnic table. He didn't plan to be gone but for a minute. Me, I would've taken the ale with, personally. :D

Once in the field, he heard some chainsawing out in the woods. The woods go for four or so miles back before they cross the road I used to travel to the farm. To the West they go through the valley another four miles or so to the top of the mountain I love to take scenic pictures from-Candian geese flock was the last pic posted from there (not mates).

That is to give the idea of how large the woods are.

Being curious as to who was cutting what and where, he started off through the woods. Shortly he realized that he was lost. He walked for three hours before he came out. The sun went away and thunderstorms moved in, so he had no idea which direction he was heading. He found snowmobile trails and followed them, but would decide he was going wrong and turn back and retrace his steps.

We figure he walked about twelve miles and lost a pint of blood to the mosquitoes.

He didn't have his cell phone on him, and said, what would I have said, I am out in the woods?

I said, well, we could have gone in banging pots and blowing whistles to give you a direction to head in. (Before we called in air search)

Part of the danger is that he suffers from back problems, and has even had surgery. He could barely stumble by the time he did find the road a half mile from his house. And of course, it's all uphill from there.

He did have a lighter in his pocket-at least I am always comforted if I know I have fire on me.

This story also has a personal story for me involved. I love hiking through woods, and have done so since I was young. Eleven years of age I had permission to walk through nearby woods, as long as I took the dog. (That was the best dog!)

The only time *knocks on wood* that I have ever been lost in the woods was the same woods that P was lost in on Sunday. I think even the circumstances were the same...I heard logging and went in deep to investigate. Both P and I are fairly familiar with the area, but the lure of the noise seems to leave one without the focus to make landmarks to mark the return trip.

Also, the time I was lost, the skies were also cloudy, and difficult to make orientation. (I know the house and road frontage would be South, as the woods are on the North side of the road)

Also, in both our situations, we struggled to hear car engines to indicate where the road was, but failed.

Luckily for me, I had taken the dog with me. Once I realized I was lost (after turning circles and panicking for ten minutes or so), I told the dog, "Let's go home!"

This took another several minutes for the dog to understand that I was not going to lead, and then I followed the dog, even though the direction felt wrong. Sure enough, I was only a hundred yards or so off the trail, and she led me straight there. That was a good dog, too.

I guess I need to actively start looking for another dog if I want to do any woods walking this summer...Thanks for that lesson, Mom. :)

I also want to add that the time I was lost, P was rather derisive as to how one could get lost in those woods. Now, years later, even though he has travelled those woods every summer since (not thoroughly, though) he found himself in the same situation.

And that is how the majority of people get lost- unprepared (see why I would take the beer?:P)
and spur of the moment. Don't follow the fairies into the woods folks..we might never hear from you again.

1 comment:

Wood Mouse said...

Like a true Dipsomaniac I too would have taken the beer!