Tuesday, May 27, 2008

view from my room


Tree

U.S. Consumer confidence is at an all time low, fueled by high gasoline prices and lower employment opportunities.


This affects across the board. We had a private showing of Prince Caspian yesterday at Maine's capital movie theatre. That's right a private showing. We were the only three in the theatre, and I let out a whoop when we stepped into the empty theatre,and waved to the projectionist in apology.


Prince Caspian was great! I took advantage of having a private showing to explain some of the more complicated bits to the Firebird and little tree. Although I read the Chronicles of Narnia many years ago, much came back as the movie progressed, and I found myself shouting "Reep-a Cheep!" when one of my more favorite characters made his initial appearance.


The special effects were spot on, and the only complaint we had was the occasional black blip that flicked through the right of the screen. As children, we used to account for them as spots on the film, but the pattern suggested more of a tracing of illegal copying than tape degradation.


Twice the maitre D made the rounds to make sure no one was taping or sneaking, and the cleaning guy ended up in the back row at the end-much to my suprise, as we had been a bit louder than protocol dictated. I was much relieved to see it was an employee rather than a patron!


Still, the major shopping center was rather vacant as we left town, and I had to wonder if the price of gasoline wasn't starting to really hit everyone here in Maine.

No comments: