Sunday, April 27, 2008

spring chore week

The rabbit hutch cleaning was the easiest job of the week. That led into raking the back yard and cleaning out the sandbox. I must have a lot of trees out back, because I dragged many huge tarp fulls down under the powerline.

The tree crews came through last summer and cut all the young oaks and maples to the ground, as they did when the line went in ten years ago. The thing is, after after 7 years the tops are brushing the lines again.

I saw the most sense in filling it in farm-style, with loads of animal bedding and yard and garden rakings, and household compost that doesn't go to the chickens-who usually scratch it out of the compost heap anyhow.

Last year I had a nice little pumpkin patch down there, and hope to repeat it with maybe a bed of tomatoes.

Today I started cleaning the wether yard. Those two guys just stand there all day long and poop, I swear. I hauled six wheelbarrows and I am not nearly finished, but the long- awaited for rain started spattering, making an easy enough excuse to wrap that job up another day.

The garden paths have started drying out, and the peas are up. I haven't planted lettuce etc yet, because I have a rooster problem. Three young roosters are roaming the yard and garden, and I need to find them a new home, since I cant (or won't ) kill them and pluck them and gut them. Yuck.

I think I will put an ad out, "Free roosters, nice lawn ornaments. Annoy your neighbors or invite them over for a chicken barbecue. Bring net and fast legs or come after dark."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rabbits are the easiest animals to clean up after I think!!! My chickens keep under the cages cleaned out really well!
My chickens came after my pepper plants!! Got one the other are covered with a jug. I guess i am going to only be able to let them out later in the afternoon. So they dont make it all the way to the yard before time to roost again.
Wethers have no other reason in life except eat since we take the other reason away when we castrate them.... Unless of course it is to aggravate you and get out all the time and run around the place!!!LOL Stinkin BOYS!!!!
I got some very nice black dirt from the compost piles this year thanks to cleaning out animals pens and houses last year!!! It was GREAT!! I havent bought any potting soil whatsoever. Have a great week!