Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Ramblings

The big news is that I finally got my four little bucklings wethered! My initial helper backed out (no suprise-not a fun job) and another volunteered to help hold them. I could only manage to elastrate two, and had to give up on the other two.

I called Boss for help, and we arranged for me to bring them to the farm yesterday morning, although she had only R working yesterday. When we arrived, they were well behind on barn chores, as the main herd had taken the opportunity of a fine Monday to run off down the road!

Still, Boss stopped her work to admire my two little guys, and we proceeded. I begged Boss to run the tool, R took the behind position, and the young firebird and I each took a hind leg. The little Willow tree opted to hang out in the barn with the farm goats.

The flock of geese gave us some consternation when they came across the road onto the lawn where we were working. Twice I asked Boss, "are they going to come over here?!?!"

To which she answered both times, "I don't know."

The second time left me chuckling, as I was expecting her to predict goose behavior!!!Hehehe.

I told the firebird, "just don't look at them"

He was much relieved to take the far leg on the second buckling, so he would be furthest from any vicious goose attack!

We did get them done without a goose attack, but both were difficult even for Boss. I could felt a little less like an incompetent, at least. :)

I was also happy to get the bucklings there and back in the back of the wagon without incident. Having just replaced the back windshield on Saturday, I was praying a goathorn didn't bust it out again-or one of the side windows, which would have been much more difficult to install.

Luckily I had finally chased a rear window down at a junkyard, and picked it up without too much wait for $100. A friend helped with the installation, so I saved $300 on that! I was not looking forward to repeating the whole process if the bucks shattered it out again!

The snow is just about all gone; a few patches left in the woods and shady spots. We were barefoot on the lawn this weekend with snow still on the edges ...LOL. ("Stay out of the snow with barefeet!")

Lots of gardening still to do. We planted peas a week or so ago, but the garden paths were so flooded we turned them into a muddy mess so I haven't wanted to go back in and plant the lettuce and spinach. Maybe this afternoon will be dry enough.

Started on raking the back yard and cleaned the goose house yesterday. I need to finish stacking my firewood and clean the rabbit hutch. So I am off for another round of spring fun!


2 comments:

Wood Mouse said...

I had to read this posting with my legs crossed and my eyes closed, even the word “Wethered” brings tears to my eyes. That makes me think that the Geese were just showing solidarity with the poor buckling's. Had you botched it, that's when the geese would have charged. Its not the boss you need to ask about animal physiology just refer to Animal Farm!

Anonymous said...

There is a pair of Gold finches twittering in the willow tree as I write. The patio door is open and it's a lovely mild spring day...it's a lovely day. And here I have some more information about willow tree