Thursday, March 27, 2008

I Sit and Think
I sit beside the fire and think
of all that I have seen,
of meadow-flowers and butterflies
in summers that have been;

Of yellow leaves and gossamer
in autumns that there were,

with morning mist and silver sun
and wind upon my hair.

I sit beside the fire and think
of how the world will be

when winter comes without a spring
that I shall never see.

For still there are so many things

that I have never seen:
in every wood in every spring
there is a different green.

I sit beside the fire and think

of people long ago,
and people who will see a world
that I shall never know.

But all the while I sit and think

of times there were before,
I listen for returning feet
and voices at the door.
J.R.R.Tolkien

The King
The King beneath the mountains,
The King of carven stone,
The lord of silver fountains,
Shall come into his own
!

His crown shall be upholden,
His harp shall be restrung,
His halls shall echo golden,
To songs of yore re-sung.

The woods shall wave on mountains,

And grass beneath the sun;
His wealth shall flow in fountains,
And the rivers golden run.

The streams shall run in gladness,

The lakes shall shine and burn,
All sorrow fail and sadness,
At the Mountain-king's return.
J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments: